Students Protest Investment in Apartheid South Africa
Between erecting a shantytown in Harvard Yard and disrupting a South African officials speech in the Science Center, anti-apartheid activists at Harvard in the late 1980s pressured the University to fully divest from companies with ties to South Africa.
Even after Harvard tried to placate critics with a policy of selective divestment, student activists continued to protest any investment in South Africa.
Activist pressure played a key role in pushing the University to reduce its South African holdings significantly, ultimately leading to a decrease of $230 million in South Africa-based holdings between June 1986 and January 1987.
Although Harvard never did fully divest from South Africa, 25 years later the student participants look back proudly on the small role they played in the downfall of the apartheid regime.
THE SPIRIT OF THE TIMES
South Africas system of apartheid was first instituted after World War II, and worldwide opposition to the system of forced racial segregation developed quickly.
In the late 1970s, a significant movement to divest from South Africa began. It aimed to use economic isolation to pressure the apartheid government to change its policies.
As the movement spread throughout the United States, Harvard resisted calls to withdraw its investments and the original movement eventually lost momentum.
However, Harvard activists in the late 1980s were reinvigorated by Jesse Jacksons visit in April of 1985.
In front of thousands of Harvard students and onlookers, Jackson denounced apartheid and urged students to choose the moral high road, according to a 1985 Crimson article.
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
celeb adl tube
christians debate jewdism 2013
lew rockwell anti semite
gordon parks kkk
sahaba iraq 1932
turkish army 2013
cohen jewish experience torrent
anti semitism rivers babylon
Christian, muslem jewish debates 2013
- You can't preach us about apartheid when British are being killed on the streets of London - Video - November 1st, 2014
- Mads Gilbert and Gaza on Hamas and 'terrorists', Israel and apartheid - Short film 2014 HD new - Video - November 1st, 2014
- How to Pronounce Apartheid - Video - November 1st, 2014
- Paul Simon bassist celebrates end of apartheid - November 1st, 2014
- Healthcare Inequality South Africas New Apartheid Vavi - November 1st, 2014
- Chester Missing questions sponsorship of 'apartheid denialist' - November 1st, 2014
- Christopher Hitchens on Racism and Ending South African Apartheid (1985) - Video - October 30th, 2014
- Israel's apartheid, where every life matters.Share - Video - October 30th, 2014
- Art and Activism: reflections on the anti-apartheid struggle and 2 decades of S. African democracy - Video - October 30th, 2014
- Zambia in mourning for president as US urges peaceful transition - October 30th, 2014
- Israel Apartheid? Palestinians to be banned from West Bank settlers buses News October 26 2014 - Video - October 29th, 2014
- Guy Scott to be first white leader of African state since apartheid - October 29th, 2014
- The First White President of Zambia Post-Apartheid - October 29th, 2014
- Palestinian 'apartheid' bus row escalates as Israeli minister Moshe Ya'alon ordered to explain ban - October 29th, 2014
- Steve Hofmeyr: 7 books from his library - October 29th, 2014
-  Bouches Doubles - Apartheid (Official Lyric Video) - Video - October 28th, 2014
- NEWSNIGHT: Michael Buerk on life in Apartheid South Africa - Video - October 28th, 2014
- South Africa's biggest union says leaving government alliance - October 28th, 2014
- News24.com | Hofmeyr faces Twitter backlash after apartheid post - October 28th, 2014
- israel is apartheid ??? - Video - October 27th, 2014
- Italy's Borgaro accused of 'apartheid' after plans for separate bus for Roma - October 27th, 2014
- Italy mayor wants separate buses for Roma people - October 27th, 2014
- Mads Gilbert and Gaza on Hamas and 'terrorists', Israel and apartheid - short film 2014 new - Video - October 26th, 2014
- Italian town accused of instituting 'apartheid' after unveiling plans for a separate bus for Roma - October 26th, 2014
- How Special Branch spied on leading anti-apartheid activist - October 26th, 2014
-  Bouches Doubles - Ngatif (Official Lyric Video) - Video - October 25th, 2014
- Apartheid under 'The Syringa Tree' - October 25th, 2014
- Italian town accused of 'apartheid' over separate bus for Roma - October 25th, 2014
- High commission gardens shared as South Africa celebrates apartheid anniversary year - October 25th, 2014
-  Bouches Doubles - Viens (Official Lyric Video) - Video - October 24th, 2014
- Apartheid As Told By Steve Hofmeyr - October 24th, 2014
- South Africa aims to live the dream of equality for all - October 24th, 2014
- Canberra dance: Liz Lea takes on Ahmed Kathrada at QL2 Theatre - October 24th, 2014
-  Bouches Doubles - Contraste (Official Lyric Video) - Video - October 24th, 2014
- Eliminating the Health Care Disparities Won't Eliminate the New American Apartheid - Video - October 24th, 2014
- Apartheid Radio Show - Video - October 24th, 2014
- Regime of apartheid Author Shlomo Sand on how he stopped being a Jew - Video - October 24th, 2014
- Pistorius shoves race, crime and punishment in S. Africa's face - October 24th, 2014
- Pistorius shoves race, crime and punishment in South Africa's face - October 24th, 2014
- People cherish apartheid in South African town of Orania - Video - October 23rd, 2014
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: