Students Protest Investment in Apartheid South Africa
Between erecting a shantytown in Harvard Yard and disrupting a South African officials speech in the Science Center, anti-apartheid activists at Harvard in the late 1980s pressured the University to fully divest from companies with ties to South Africa.
Even after Harvard tried to placate critics with a policy of selective divestment, student activists continued to protest any investment in South Africa.
Activist pressure played a key role in pushing the University to reduce its South African holdings significantly, ultimately leading to a decrease of $230 million in South Africa-based holdings between June 1986 and January 1987.
Although Harvard never did fully divest from South Africa, 25 years later the student participants look back proudly on the small role they played in the downfall of the apartheid regime.
THE SPIRIT OF THE TIMES
South Africas system of apartheid was first instituted after World War II, and worldwide opposition to the system of forced racial segregation developed quickly.
In the late 1970s, a significant movement to divest from South Africa began. It aimed to use economic isolation to pressure the apartheid government to change its policies.
As the movement spread throughout the United States, Harvard resisted calls to withdraw its investments and the original movement eventually lost momentum.
However, Harvard activists in the late 1980s were reinvigorated by Jesse Jacksons visit in April of 1985.
In front of thousands of Harvard students and onlookers, Jackson denounced apartheid and urged students to choose the moral high road, according to a 1985 Crimson article.
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
fatelessness watch english subtitles
christians mushrikeen killed
watchtower files holocaust funds
hyderabad jews news
cartoon hitler step step
english convivencia: aspects christian jewish cooperation medieval england, 1189 1290
antisemitism shabbat goy
- Obama Currently Supports Apartheid! In A Little Country Called Israel - Video - December 3rd, 2013
- L"Apartheid a Ghardaia...le 26.03.2013 - Video - December 3rd, 2013
- Apartheid in South Africa - Simple English Wikipedia, the free ... - December 3rd, 2013
- Crime of apartheid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - December 3rd, 2013
- apartheid (social policy) -- Encyclopedia Britannica - December 3rd, 2013
- Breaking the chains of South Africa's apartheid, and marching ... - December 3rd, 2013
- Financial Apartheid: Tel Aviv vs Gaza - Video - December 1st, 2013
- Son explains activist s anti Apartheid struggle - Video - December 1st, 2013
- L'apartheid a Ghardaia en Algerie - Video - December 1st, 2013
- Jewish Voice For Peace Seattle Protest In Support Of Palestinians Under Apartheid - Video - December 1st, 2013
- BouchГ©es Doubles En Ton Nom Apartheid 2006 - Video - December 1st, 2013
- Norms in International Relations The Struggle Against Apartheid Cornell Studies - Video - December 1st, 2013
- South African Rev. Meshoe Debunks Israeli Apartheid | Diane ... - December 1st, 2013
- Israel, Africa and Apartheid: Israeli Ambassador to South Africa Arthur Lenk speaks to JN1 - Video - November 29th, 2013
- Florida: Stetson University Supports Islamic Apartheid ... - November 29th, 2013
- Ben White at Ryerson University: "Israel: Apartheid not Democracy" - Video - November 28th, 2013
- Nelson Mandela Biografia - HistГіria / Apartheid ГЃfrica do Sul - Video - November 28th, 2013
- Apartheid вЂ” History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts - November 28th, 2013
- Against Global Apartheid South Africa Meets the World Bank IMF and Internationa - Video - November 28th, 2013
- South Africa since apartheid: Boom or bust? - CNN.com - November 28th, 2013
- Apartheid -- The Apartheid Era of South Africa - November 28th, 2013
- apartheid: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com - November 28th, 2013
- Nelson Mandela-Apartheid Documentary - Video - November 26th, 2013
- Dr.Jeff Helper Isreal/palestine; Peace, apartheid... or warehousing? part 8 - Video - November 26th, 2013
- Apartheid by Deception - Israeli Terrorism in Gaza 4 4 - Video - November 26th, 2013
- Apartheid by Deception - Israeli Terrorism in Gaza 1/4 - Video - November 26th, 2013
- Apology for apartheid..... - Video - November 26th, 2013
- Architect of Apartheid in Israel If we don t kill, we will cease to exist Blumenthal Pt4 - Video - November 26th, 2013
- Apartheid in Israel Dispelling Myths of the Jewish State, NSA s Six Degrees of Implication - Video - November 26th, 2013
- What is Apartheid? (with pictures) - wiseGEEK - November 26th, 2013
- apartheid - definition of apartheid by the Free Online ... - November 26th, 2013
- Crowd Of Orthodox Jews Burn Israeli Apartheid Flag On Behalf Of Palestinians British Jewish Lobby - Video - November 24th, 2013
- Pilger's Utopia denounces Australia's "apartheid" - cinema - Video - November 24th, 2013
- Utopia - Pilger's Utopia denounces Australia's "apartheid" - Video - November 24th, 2013
- Johannesburg / Apartheid Museum South Africa - Video - November 24th, 2013
- John Pilger - Apartheid Did Not Die - Video - November 24th, 2013
- Medicaid The Real Death Panels Are in Governor Jan Brewers Apartheid Arizona - Video - November 22nd, 2013
- Did You Know Boycott Israeli apartheid and opression - Video - November 22nd, 2013
- Asian women artists in Delhi fight gender apartheid - Video - November 22nd, 2013
- Apartheid Israel? No. Apartheid throughout the Muslim nations Jewu - Video - November 22nd, 2013
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: