Students Protest Investment in Apartheid South Africa
Between erecting a shantytown in Harvard Yard and disrupting a South African officials speech in the Science Center, anti-apartheid activists at Harvard in the late 1980s pressured the University to fully divest from companies with ties to South Africa.
Even after Harvard tried to placate critics with a policy of selective divestment, student activists continued to protest any investment in South Africa.
Activist pressure played a key role in pushing the University to reduce its South African holdings significantly, ultimately leading to a decrease of $230 million in South Africa-based holdings between June 1986 and January 1987.
Although Harvard never did fully divest from South Africa, 25 years later the student participants look back proudly on the small role they played in the downfall of the apartheid regime.
THE SPIRIT OF THE TIMES
South Africas system of apartheid was first instituted after World War II, and worldwide opposition to the system of forced racial segregation developed quickly.
In the late 1970s, a significant movement to divest from South Africa began. It aimed to use economic isolation to pressure the apartheid government to change its policies.
As the movement spread throughout the United States, Harvard resisted calls to withdraw its investments and the original movement eventually lost momentum.
However, Harvard activists in the late 1980s were reinvigorated by Jesse Jacksons visit in April of 1985.
In front of thousands of Harvard students and onlookers, Jackson denounced apartheid and urged students to choose the moral high road, according to a 1985 Crimson article.
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
ruth teig kreplach video
seth macfarlane exposing jews
forward editorial bds february 22, 2013
cantor richmond racism
war thunder unlimited eagles hack
- Apartheid and Racism - South Africa vs USA. - Video - May 26th, 2014
- The Death Of Apartheid The Whites Last Stand part2 - Video - May 26th, 2014
- 20th Century History Project - The End of Apartheid - Video - May 25th, 2014
- Apartheid by Micaela D'amato - Video - May 24th, 2014
- Vex About Apartheid - M.A.D. ( Mental & Dangerous) - Video - May 24th, 2014
- Israel Apartheid State Gives Impunity for IDF Soldiers | Interview with Miko Peled - Video - May 23rd, 2014
- The Apartheid in South Africa - Video - May 23rd, 2014
- Keiser Report: Wrong Side of Apartheid Wall (E604) - Video - May 23rd, 2014
- Word Apartheid: Why cant John Kerry stand behind his statement on Israel? - Video - May 22nd, 2014
- Loeries 2010, Campaign Bronze, TV, TBWAHuntLascaris JHB, Apartheid Museum, A History forgotten 2 - Video - May 22nd, 2014
- David Robert Lewis, anti-apartheid activist - Video - May 21st, 2014
- Christopher Hitchens on the ANC, South African Apartheid, Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu (19 - Video - May 21st, 2014
- Transport Apartheid: 'Palestinian Only' buses spark segregation roar - Video - May 21st, 2014
- CON: Israel isnt, and will never be, an apartheid state - May 21st, 2014
- PRO: Does the term apartheid fit Israel? Of course it does - May 21st, 2014
- South Africa: 'When South Africa Called, We Answered' - May 20th, 2014
- Piet Dlamini Unique take on Apartheid in South Africa - Video - May 19th, 2014
- Word Apartheid 'Why can't John Kerry stand behind his statement on Israel ' - Video - May 19th, 2014
- Wall of Shame Documentary Video on Apartheid in Palestine - Video - May 18th, 2014
- Football Against Apartheid FREE FREE PALESTINE - Video - May 18th, 2014
- Football Against Apartheid Download - Video - May 18th, 2014
- No apartheid found in Hebron not even in Shuhada street - Video - May 18th, 2014
- Nazi , Apartheid, or Indian Act? - Video - May 18th, 2014
- Apartheid ou Cotas??? - Video - May 18th, 2014
- Op-Ed - May 18th, 2014
- Infographic: How the Israeli ID card system enforces apartheid - May 17th, 2014
- Iran Won't Accept 'Nuclear Apartheid' President Hassan Rouhani-12th may 2014 - Video - May 17th, 2014
- Kerry: Unitary Israeli state would lead to ''apartheid'' - Video - May 17th, 2014
- Pat "Make-up Monster" Todd Brought Apartheid Back to Amerikkka! - Video - May 16th, 2014
- Salir del Apartheid de la Naturaleza - Video - May 16th, 2014
- John Kerry calls Israel "Apartheid," blasted by Dems -- 5-19-14 - Video - May 16th, 2014
- US drone campaign birthday, China strikes and John Kerry's Israel warning Truthloader - Video - May 14th, 2014
- [English sub]. Rouhani: We will not be subjected to nuclear apartheid. - Video - May 14th, 2014
- Where is the REAL Apartheid in the Middle East? - Video - May 13th, 2014
- In The Name Of God: Defending Apartheid - Video - May 13th, 2014
- Message to USA, Nato, Israel, AlQaeda Axis. :) No Gas for Apartheid Fascist Israel - Video - May 13th, 2014
- Apartheid In Greece - Video - May 13th, 2014
- Filmmaker Danny Schechter: The Anti Apartheid Movement Behind Mandela Can't Be Forgotten - Video - May 12th, 2014
- Redneck Logic: John Kerry Is An Anti Semite! - Video - May 12th, 2014
- Apartheid Newscast - Video - May 12th, 2014
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: