Students Protest Investment in Apartheid South Africa
Between erecting a shantytown in Harvard Yard and disrupting a South African officials speech in the Science Center, anti-apartheid activists at Harvard in the late 1980s pressured the University to fully divest from companies with ties to South Africa.
Even after Harvard tried to placate critics with a policy of selective divestment, student activists continued to protest any investment in South Africa.
Activist pressure played a key role in pushing the University to reduce its South African holdings significantly, ultimately leading to a decrease of $230 million in South Africa-based holdings between June 1986 and January 1987.
Although Harvard never did fully divest from South Africa, 25 years later the student participants look back proudly on the small role they played in the downfall of the apartheid regime.
THE SPIRIT OF THE TIMES
South Africas system of apartheid was first instituted after World War II, and worldwide opposition to the system of forced racial segregation developed quickly.
In the late 1970s, a significant movement to divest from South Africa began. It aimed to use economic isolation to pressure the apartheid government to change its policies.
As the movement spread throughout the United States, Harvard resisted calls to withdraw its investments and the original movement eventually lost momentum.
However, Harvard activists in the late 1980s were reinvigorated by Jesse Jacksons visit in April of 1985.
In front of thousands of Harvard students and onlookers, Jackson denounced apartheid and urged students to choose the moral high road, according to a 1985 Crimson article.
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
audie murphy anti semitic
cemetery vandalism hopelawn nj
sara hypnotizes friend
Ethiopia Muziqa 2013
antis tite pussy
english convivencia: aspects christian jewish cooperation medieval england, 1189 1290
- African National Congress Fights Apartheid - Video - September 30th, 2014
- South Africa Conference: Twenty Years After Apartheid - Panel IV 09-19-2014 - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Demokracie, nebo apartheid? Debata - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Constituting Women's Day In Post-Apartheid South Africa - Phindezwa Mnyaka - bluecoffeeandbooks.com - Video - September 30th, 2014
- Babson Professor Feld Authors "Nations Divided: American Jews And The Struggle Over Apartheid" - September 30th, 2014
- Protests against Apartheid - Video - September 29th, 2014
- USA: Abbas warns UNGA "Israel will impose most abhorrent form of Apartheid" - Video - September 29th, 2014
- News24.com | NWU Potch campus an 'apartheid enclave' - Nzimande - September 29th, 2014
- Hans Schwass - Anti-Apartheid - Video - September 28th, 2014
- Apartheid: In black and white in New York - Video - September 28th, 2014
- South Africa Conference: Twenty Years After Apartheid - Video - September 28th, 2014
- TRAUMA - APARTHEID - Video - September 28th, 2014
- Palestinian Prisoners & Administrative Detention in Israel excerpt from Roadmap to Apartheid - Video - September 28th, 2014
- Exploring South Africa's troubled education system - learning world - Video - September 27th, 2014
- On climate, Canada buries its head in the oilsands - September 27th, 2014
- South Africa: Twenty Years After Apartheid - Panel II 09-19-2014 - Video - September 26th, 2014
- Art in Apartheid - St. Stithians - Video - September 26th, 2014
- South Africa: Twenty Years After Apartheid - Panel III 09-19-2014 - Video - September 26th, 2014
- South Africa university an 'apartheid institution': minister - September 26th, 2014
- Puerto Rico: Modern American Apartheid lecture at RVCC - Video - September 25th, 2014
- Affordable Auckland attacks 'creeping apartheid' - September 25th, 2014
- Apartheid caused land degradation - September 23rd, 2014
- News24.com | Apartheid caused land degradation - Zokwana - September 23rd, 2014
- South Africa: Overcoming Their Apartheid Past - Video - September 22nd, 2014
- School-zone 'apartheid' - September 22nd, 2014
- School zone manipulation creating 'apartheid' - September 22nd, 2014
- Desmond Tutu urges Norwegians to forgive Breivik - September 22nd, 2014
- Noam Chomsky - Israeli Apartheid & Possession of Weapons of Mass Destruction - Video - September 21st, 2014
- AHAVA: BEAUTY SECRETS OF APARTHEID - Video - September 21st, 2014
- Kerry Unitary Israeli state would lead to apartheid - Video - September 21st, 2014
- Desmond Tutu: We fought apartheid. Now climate change is our global enemy - September 21st, 2014
- 366) South Africa after the Apartheid - Video 2 - Video - September 19th, 2014
- BARBY ULMER - South African vs. Israeli Apartheid - 9/12/14 - San Jose Peace And Justice Center - Video - September 19th, 2014
- John Tory: No city funding for Pride if 'Israeli apartheid group allowed - September 19th, 2014
- Tory targets Queers Against Israeli Apartheid in two debates - September 19th, 2014
- Anti-apartheid hero Sachs awarded Asias Tang Prize - September 19th, 2014
- John Tory says he would deny funding to Pride Toronto if its parade includes Queers Against Israeli Apartheid - September 19th, 2014
- apartheid - definition of apartheid by The Free Dictionary - September 18th, 2014
- Anti-apartheid hero, ex-Norway PM awarded 'Asian Nobel' prizes - September 18th, 2014
- The myth that sanctions felled apartheid - September 18th, 2014
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: