Amish sect found guilty of hate crimes in beard cutting
The leader of a breakaway Amish group and 15 followers were convicted of hate crimes in the US state of Ohio for a series of beard-cutting attacks against rivals in the community.
Federal prosecutors on Thursday argued that Samuel Mullet — who considered himself a god above the law — unleashed a band of renegades who waged a “campaign of terror” against nine religious enemies and estranged family members last year.
“The evidence was that they invaded their homes, physically attacked these people and sheared them almost like animals,” said US Attorney Steven Dettelbach.
“Our community and our nation must have zero tolerance for this type of religious intolerance.”
The five separate raids were mainly carried out at night, with the victims forced out of bed, their beards and hair chopped off with horse mane shears and battery-powered clippers, and the roughshod barber work documented with embarrassing snapshots on a disposable camera.
Beards and long hair are sacred symbols of an Amish follower’s devotion to God, and to cut them is humiliating.
Defense lawyers argued that the beard-cutting forays never reached the level of a hate crime — for conviction, a religious motive and bodily injury, including disfigurement, must be proven.
They argued that love and compassion drove the hair-cutting conflicts, which were intended to compel the victims to return to a conservative Amish lifestyle.
Mullet’s sister, Barbara Miller, was among the victims of the hair-cutting attacks. She covered her face with her jacket as the judge read the verdict and declined to comment to reporters outside the courthouse.
“It’s sad, sure,” said Mullet’s brother John, who lives apart from the Mullet compound, and accompanied his sister Barbara to court nearly every day of the three-week trial.
See the rest here:
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
kkk rant video
arad push cats
kaitlin roig sandy hook bullshit
cannibal holocaust dubbed hindi
syrian crisis 2013
antisemitism george zimmerman
adl oscar contriversy
george galloway storms bait
How history Judaism influenced Jewish people's understanding themselves
- Man Charged With Hate Crime For "Anti-White" Central Park Attacks - September 1st, 2014
- Germany tightens laws against suspected hate crimes - Video - August 31st, 2014
- Whites most common targets in DC hate crimes? - Video - August 31st, 2014
- News Now: Media bias in reporting hate crimes - Video - August 31st, 2014
- Hate Crimes - Laws.com - August 31st, 2014
- hate crime legal definition of hate crime - August 31st, 2014
- Excerpt: Renegade Amish: Beard Cutting, Hate Crimes, and the Trial of the Bergholz Barbers - August 31st, 2014
- Hate Crime Laws: What the Amish Beard Cutting Case Means for the Rest of Us - August 31st, 2014
- U.S. appeals court in Ohio overturns hate crime convictions of 16 Amish - August 31st, 2014
- PSNI: Car attacks were hate crimes - August 31st, 2014
- More homophobic hate crime reported - August 31st, 2014
- Court throws out hate-crime convictions for Amish beard attacks - August 31st, 2014
- Convictions in Amish Beard-Cutting Cases Overturned - August 31st, 2014
- The Closer Season 1 Episode 8 - Batter Up - Video - May 26th, 2014
- Pope visits Holy Land amid tensions - Video - May 26th, 2014
- The effort to reduce hate crimes - May 26th, 2014
- Disability Hate Crimes: How to Obtain Compensation for Authourities' Failings - Video - May 25th, 2014
- Kirsten and Gee :Hate Crimes - Video - May 25th, 2014
- Church defaced in Israel ahead of pope visit - Video - May 25th, 2014
- Date is in the Title (OLD VIDEO FROM WINTER) - Video - May 24th, 2014
- 06 Lil B Complex Hate Crimes P Y T Pretty Young Thug - Video - May 24th, 2014
- Travelling Ahead - Young People Speak Out About Hate Crime - Video - May 23rd, 2014
- Christians in Israel face rise in hate crimes - Video - May 22nd, 2014
- Sticks and Stones - Video - May 21st, 2014
- Hate crimes 9/11 - Video - May 21st, 2014
- HR 1913 Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Act 2009 by US House of Representatives - Video - May 21st, 2014
- New Study: 25 Percent Of Hate Crimes Reported In TN Happen In Shelby County - May 21st, 2014
- Travelling Ahead - Young Travellers and Hate Crime - Video - May 20th, 2014
- Increase in most hate crimes in Northern Ireland and fewer sectarian incidents - May 20th, 2014
- Cameron: Hate crimes lessons being learned from Rossendale's Sophie Lancaster - May 20th, 2014
- Transient Charged With Attempted Murder, Hate Crimes in Walmart Assault On Child - Video - May 18th, 2014
- My Movie/ alleged Hate Crimes of Caledonia County Vermont - Video - May 18th, 2014
- Hate crime: Racist Latina hunted Asians to attack - Video - May 18th, 2014
- Graffiti attacks 'were hate crimes' - May 18th, 2014
- Israel cannot wait any longer to crush price tag attacks - May 18th, 2014
- U.S. Attorney Wendy Olson at hate crimes press conference - Video - May 17th, 2014
- Acklam mum backing new film tackling hate crimes against disabled people - May 17th, 2014
- Chief Masterson at hate crimes press conference - Video - May 16th, 2014
- Cardiff County Council Condone Hate Crimes - Video - May 16th, 2014
- Boise men indicted for alleged hate crimes - May 16th, 2014
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: