Amish sect found guilty of hate crimes in beard cutting
The leader of a breakaway Amish group and 15 followers were convicted of hate crimes in the US state of Ohio for a series of beard-cutting attacks against rivals in the community.
Federal prosecutors on Thursday argued that Samuel Mullet — who considered himself a god above the law — unleashed a band of renegades who waged a “campaign of terror” against nine religious enemies and estranged family members last year.
“The evidence was that they invaded their homes, physically attacked these people and sheared them almost like animals,” said US Attorney Steven Dettelbach.
“Our community and our nation must have zero tolerance for this type of religious intolerance.”
The five separate raids were mainly carried out at night, with the victims forced out of bed, their beards and hair chopped off with horse mane shears and battery-powered clippers, and the roughshod barber work documented with embarrassing snapshots on a disposable camera.
Beards and long hair are sacred symbols of an Amish follower’s devotion to God, and to cut them is humiliating.
Defense lawyers argued that the beard-cutting forays never reached the level of a hate crime — for conviction, a religious motive and bodily injury, including disfigurement, must be proven.
They argued that love and compassion drove the hair-cutting conflicts, which were intended to compel the victims to return to a conservative Amish lifestyle.
Mullet’s sister, Barbara Miller, was among the victims of the hair-cutting attacks. She covered her face with her jacket as the judge read the verdict and declined to comment to reporters outside the courthouse.
“It’s sad, sure,” said Mullet’s brother John, who lives apart from the Mullet compound, and accompanied his sister Barbara to court nearly every day of the three-week trial.
See the rest here:
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
racism pandora's box
Palestine Journey Through The Ages
kkk prime ministers 1920s
plans against mslm
gnn floyd anderson
anti semitism bournemouth
free hood racist porn
jonathan sierra agronomia
din merican dj blogger
prophecy malachy 2013
- Possible hate crime probed in Ft. Morgan - Video - March 7th, 2014
- Ranting About Hate Crimes & Such - Video - March 7th, 2014
- Take Your God Shit And Shove It. Hate Crimes Against Children - Video - March 7th, 2014
- FBI: Hate crimes on wane - March 7th, 2014
- Hate Crimes in the Heartland - Cincinnati Screening - Video - March 6th, 2014
- Hate crime is racial profiling, sensitise all cops: HC - March 6th, 2014
- City officials: FM community stronger than alleged hate crimes may indicate - March 6th, 2014
- 'Hate crime is racial profiling, sensitise all cops' - March 6th, 2014
- Rep. Steve King: 'Self-professed' Gays Could Entrap Businesses by Pretending - Video - March 5th, 2014
- Hate Crimes Towards American Children: Adrian's NCMEC #1216340 - Video - March 5th, 2014
- Possible Hate Crimes In Fort Morgan Upsetting Citizens - March 5th, 2014
- Hate Crime Is 'Racial Profiling', Sensitise All Cops: HC - March 5th, 2014
- Hate crime is 'racial profiling', sensitise all 83,000 cops: Delhi High Court - March 5th, 2014
- Fort Morgan offers reward in hate crimes - March 5th, 2014
- "Hate crime is racial profiling, sensitise all 83k cops" - March 5th, 2014
- UPDATED: Police investigating vandalism as hate crime - March 4th, 2014
- Police investigating Fort Morgan vandalism as hate crime - March 4th, 2014
- Campus Feature: The Evolution of Hate Crimes (Full Version) - Video - March 3rd, 2014
- 'Hates Crimes in the Heartland': Tough questions in wake of Tulsa's troubled past - March 3rd, 2014
- Possible hate crime probed in Ft. Morgan - March 3rd, 2014
- Campus Feature: The Evolution of Hate Crimes - Video - March 2nd, 2014
- The Harms of Hate - Video - March 2nd, 2014
- Prosecutors: Ohio Amish convictions should stand - March 2nd, 2014
- Gay NBA star: 'Let the haters hate' - March 2nd, 2014
- Prosecutors: Ohio Amish convictions should stand - Quincy Herald-Whig | Illinois & Missouri News, Sports - March 2nd, 2014
- Jason Collins: 'Let the haters hate' - March 2nd, 2014
- Police report fewer hate crimes in Halton during 2013 - February 28th, 2014
- The Truth About The FBI Crime Statistics - Video - February 28th, 2014
- Moronic white man plays the knockout game against innocents in a bar - Video - February 28th, 2014
- Long Island: Hate crimes unit called in on burglary because Qur'an among many damaged items - Video - February 28th, 2014
- Task force review is critical of how D.C. police handle LGBT bias cases - February 28th, 2014
- Two 'hate crimes' trigger a meeting of city officials and Jersey City's Sikh community members - February 28th, 2014
- Jersey City's Sikh community decries 'hate crimes' - February 28th, 2014
- Sikhs Concerned by Hate Crimes in New Jersey - February 28th, 2014
- Gangster Paradise USA - Murders, Dealers and Sex 2013 - Documentary - Video - February 26th, 2014
- Florida and Georgia in Top 5 for Hate Groups - February 26th, 2014
- Fighting those who are fanning hatred in Malaysia - February 26th, 2014
- The Harms of Hate - Trailer - Video - February 25th, 2014
- CSO applaud government's efforts in dealing with hate crimes against - Video - February 25th, 2014
- Members of a mosque in Bothell call on FBI to help stop incidences of hate - February 25th, 2014
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: