Amish sect found guilty of hate crimes in beard cutting
The leader of a breakaway Amish group and 15 followers were convicted of hate crimes in the US state of Ohio for a series of beard-cutting attacks against rivals in the community.
Federal prosecutors on Thursday argued that Samuel Mullet — who considered himself a god above the law — unleashed a band of renegades who waged a “campaign of terror” against nine religious enemies and estranged family members last year.
“The evidence was that they invaded their homes, physically attacked these people and sheared them almost like animals,” said US Attorney Steven Dettelbach.
“Our community and our nation must have zero tolerance for this type of religious intolerance.”
The five separate raids were mainly carried out at night, with the victims forced out of bed, their beards and hair chopped off with horse mane shears and battery-powered clippers, and the roughshod barber work documented with embarrassing snapshots on a disposable camera.
Beards and long hair are sacred symbols of an Amish follower’s devotion to God, and to cut them is humiliating.
Defense lawyers argued that the beard-cutting forays never reached the level of a hate crime — for conviction, a religious motive and bodily injury, including disfigurement, must be proven.
They argued that love and compassion drove the hair-cutting conflicts, which were intended to compel the victims to return to a conservative Amish lifestyle.
Mullet’s sister, Barbara Miller, was among the victims of the hair-cutting attacks. She covered her face with her jacket as the judge read the verdict and declined to comment to reporters outside the courthouse.
“It’s sad, sure,” said Mullet’s brother John, who lives apart from the Mullet compound, and accompanied his sister Barbara to court nearly every day of the three-week trial.
See the rest here:
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
Wakisela nimefanya nini
muslims revels quotes
universal theocratic law
rolex anti semitism
obama march 22nd jerusalem
bottle gaza putlocker
anti semitism wright
omid djalili anti semitic
- Number of alcohol violations drop - October 30th, 2014
- Lawmakers push to expand hate crimes laws - Video - October 29th, 2014
- Makabayan bloc files Anti-Hate Crime resolution (Congress of the Philippines) - October 29th, 2014
- We are not equal...OBSERVE THE FACTS!!! HORIFFIC!! - Video - October 28th, 2014
- Payday 2: Nightclub Fails w Friends! - Video - October 26th, 2014
- Hate Crime victims urged not to suffer in silence - October 26th, 2014
- The truth behind Americas most famous gay-hate murder - October 26th, 2014
- Support for anti-hate crime bill gathers steam - October 26th, 2014
- Jennifer Laude, hate crimes, and the big picture - October 26th, 2014
- We are not equal...OBSERVE THE FACTS!!! - Video - October 24th, 2014
- Windy City Times: Chicago Hate Crimes Summit 10-20-2014: Panel 1 of 3 - Video - October 24th, 2014
- Gay hate crimes at Waratah's Braye Park - October 24th, 2014
- Windy City Times: Chicago Hate Crimes Summit 10-20-2014: Michael Masters - Video - October 23rd, 2014
- Windy City Times: Chicago Hate Crimes Summit 10-20-2014: Anita Alvarez - Video - October 23rd, 2014
- Rouge Legacy Ep. 3 Hate Crimes - Video - October 23rd, 2014
- Boston MA | Hate Crimes | Federal Criminal Defense Attorney Brad Bailey | 800-494-0977 - Video - October 23rd, 2014
- 'More to do' on disabled hate crimes - October 23rd, 2014
- Suffolk has the fourth highest conviction rate for hate crimes in England and Wales - October 23rd, 2014
- Suffolk: County has the fourth highest conviction rate for hate crimes in England and Wales - October 23rd, 2014
- Windy City Times: Chicago Hate Crimes Summit 10-20-2014: FBI's VickLombardo - Video - October 22nd, 2014
- Windy City Times: Chicago Hate Crimes Summit 10-20-2014: Dr Tyrone Forman - Video - October 22nd, 2014
- Windy City Times: Chicago Hate Crimes Summit 10-20-2014: Jaslit Singh - Video - October 22nd, 2014
- Why Are Hate Crimes Difficult To Prosecute? - Video - October 22nd, 2014
- Bill that would make attacks on gays a hate crime advances - October 22nd, 2014
- Man admits hate crime in West Side attack on lesbian couple - October 22nd, 2014
- Racial and religious hate crimes are on the rise in UK - Video - October 21st, 2014
- PENNSYLVANIA: Legislative Session Ends Without Passage Of Hate Crimes Bill - Video - October 21st, 2014
- Gay Minister seeking support after Hate Crimes against him - Video - October 21st, 2014
- City Council Committee OKs Hate Crimes Bill - October 21st, 2014
- Hate crimes on the rise in Britain. - Video - October 20th, 2014
- Hate Crimes Will Not be Tolerated, Says Kiren Rijuju - Video - October 20th, 2014
- Govt will not tolerate hate crimes: Kiren Rijiju - TOI - Video - October 20th, 2014
- Shropshire hate crime figures fall - October 20th, 2014
- Students Rally Against Hate Crimes At 2 Southland High Schools - Video - October 19th, 2014
- Attack on North-East people intensifies - Cause and Remedy - Video - October 19th, 2014
- No discrimination bill for LGBT's being pushed at Quezon City - Video - October 19th, 2014
- Reports of hate crimes against gay and disabled people in West Midlands soar - October 19th, 2014
- One in six victims report hate crimes - October 19th, 2014
- News Express discusses hate crimes against northeast people Part 2 - Video - October 18th, 2014
- Won't tolerate hate crimes: Union Minister Kiren Rijiju on attacks on NE Students - Video - October 18th, 2014
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: