Amish sect found guilty of hate crimes in beard cutting
The leader of a breakaway Amish group and 15 followers were convicted of hate crimes in the US state of Ohio for a series of beard-cutting attacks against rivals in the community.
Federal prosecutors on Thursday argued that Samuel Mullet — who considered himself a god above the law — unleashed a band of renegades who waged a “campaign of terror” against nine religious enemies and estranged family members last year.
“The evidence was that they invaded their homes, physically attacked these people and sheared them almost like animals,” said US Attorney Steven Dettelbach.
“Our community and our nation must have zero tolerance for this type of religious intolerance.”
The five separate raids were mainly carried out at night, with the victims forced out of bed, their beards and hair chopped off with horse mane shears and battery-powered clippers, and the roughshod barber work documented with embarrassing snapshots on a disposable camera.
Beards and long hair are sacred symbols of an Amish follower’s devotion to God, and to cut them is humiliating.
Defense lawyers argued that the beard-cutting forays never reached the level of a hate crime — for conviction, a religious motive and bodily injury, including disfigurement, must be proven.
They argued that love and compassion drove the hair-cutting conflicts, which were intended to compel the victims to return to a conservative Amish lifestyle.
Mullet’s sister, Barbara Miller, was among the victims of the hair-cutting attacks. She covered her face with her jacket as the judge read the verdict and declined to comment to reporters outside the courthouse.
“It’s sad, sure,” said Mullet’s brother John, who lives apart from the Mullet compound, and accompanied his sister Barbara to court nearly every day of the three-week trial.
See the rest here:
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
camp ashraf jewish
pravin togadiya video free download
tommy lee sparta samplers
sexe arabe mwn 18
war thunder eagles
katsucon controversy jewish
ennio morricone holocaust 2000 mediafire
sir rateb rabie
- Holder: Hate crimes 'an affront to who we are' - April 17th, 2014
- By the numbers: Hate in US - April 17th, 2014
- Brownback welcomes input on need for hate-crime legislation - April 17th, 2014
- Officials Unsure JCC Shooting Was Hate Crime - Video - April 16th, 2014
- Snapshot: Hate Crime in America, by the Numbers - April 16th, 2014
- By the numbers: Hate in U.S. - April 16th, 2014
- Why Hate Crimes Persist More Than Violent Crimes - April 15th, 2014
- Feds to probe hate crimes link in Kansas shootings - April 15th, 2014
- Hate motivated fatal shootings near Kansas City: U.S. Attorney - April 15th, 2014
- Hate Crime in the Heartland? - April 15th, 2014
- Jewish Center Shootings Were Hate Crimes, Authorities Say - April 15th, 2014
- Hate crimes go unnoticed - April 15th, 2014
- Column: Don't charge mob with hate - April 13th, 2014
- Don't charge mob with hate - April 13th, 2014
- Police investigate anti-Polish hate crimes in Belfast - April 12th, 2014
- A cure for Islamophobia - Video - April 11th, 2014
- Teen charged with assault, hate crime in mob beating of ... - April 11th, 2014
- Attack after same-sex marriage sheds light on Michigan ... - April 11th, 2014
- Teen charged with hate crime in beating of driver - SFGate - April 11th, 2014
- Comment: Men are also 'corrective rape' victims - April 11th, 2014
- Chileans carved swastikas into body of gay man they killed - April 10th, 2014
- Chilean men carved swastikas into body of gay man they killed - April 10th, 2014
- Murdered Sophie Lancaster's mum praises police - April 10th, 2014
- 'Glee' recap: You Take the Good, You Take the Bad - April 9th, 2014
- Agencies join forces to fight hate crimes - April 8th, 2014
- Midnight Red on their style vs 'The Wanted' and 'One Direction' British-Irish boy bands - Video - April 8th, 2014
- UK anti-Muslim hate crime soars, police figures show - April 8th, 2014
- Most gay victims fail to report hate crimes to police, says report - April 8th, 2014
- Europe failing to protect Roma from violence: Amnesty - April 8th, 2014
- Howard Zinn Historian's Perspective on American Culture 1/2 - Video - April 7th, 2014
- FBI statistics show US hate crimes decreased in 2012 - April 7th, 2014
- Attack shines light on Michigan hate crime law - April 6th, 2014
- Attack after same-sex marriage shines light on hate crime law - April 6th, 2014
- Gang stalking Community hate crimes - Video - April 4th, 2014
- Home Is Where the Hate Is: When Homophobic Parents Kill - April 4th, 2014
- Amnesty International criticizes Greek police - April 3rd, 2014
- Rights group Amnesty International cites culture of impunity, racism in Greek police - April 3rd, 2014
- Convicted Ohio Amish leader continues appeal - April 2nd, 2014
- Convicted Ohio Amish leader says evidence weak - April 2nd, 2014
- Amish sect leader appeals conviction of beard-chopping attacks - April 2nd, 2014
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: