Israel warns of attack on Syrian chemical weapons
JERUSALEM (AP) Israel could launch a pre-emptive strike to stop Syria’s chemical weapons from reaching Lebanon’s Hezbollah or al-Qaida inspired groups, officials said Sunday.
The warning came as the military moved a rocket defense system to a main northern city, and Israel’s premier warned of dangers from both Syria and Iran.
Israel has long expressed concerns that Syrian President Bashar Assad, clinging to power during a 22-month civil war, could lose control over his chemical weapons.
Vice Prime Minister Silvan Shalom said Sunday that Israel’s top security officials held a special meeting last week to discuss Syria’s chemical weapons arsenal. The fact of the meeting, held the morning after a national election, had not been made public before.
Shalom told the Army Radio station that the transfer of weapons to violent groups, particularly the Iranian-backed Lebanese Hezbollah, would be a game changer.
“It would be crossing a line that would demand a different approach, including even action,” he said. Asked whether this might mean a pre-emptive attack, he said: “We will have to make the decisions.”
Israel has kept out of the civil war that has engulfed Syria and killed more than 60,000 people, but it is concerned that violence could spill over from its northern border into Israel.
Israel deployed its Iron Dome rocket defense system in the northern city of Haifa on Sunday. The city was battered by Hezbollah rocket fire during a war in the summer of 2006. The military called the deployment “routine.”
Iron Dome, an Israel-developed system that shoots down incoming short-range rockets, was used to defend Israeli cities during a round of hostilities with Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip, on Israel’s southern flank, last November.
Yisrael Hasson, a lawmaker and former deputy head of Israel’s Shin Bet intelligence agency, said Israel was closely following developments in Syria to make sure chemical weapons don’t “fall into the wrong hands.”
Follow this link:
Israel warns of attack on Syrian chemical weapons
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
adl seth mcfarlane
antisemitism george zimmerman
jews oskar 2013
jesse watters jewish
pistorius oscar jew
habakkuk anti babylonians
obama march 22nd jerusalem
willis allison carto
ennio morricone holocaust 2000 mediafire
omid djalili anti semitic
- Mondoweiss on how Steven Salaita was fired - August 27th, 2014
- Ricardo Duchesne on Ethnicity and Liberalism - August 22nd, 2014
- Alon Confino: Jews as Symbols of Morality - August 20th, 2014
- Palestinians face Russian roulette in Israelâ€™s firing zones - August 8th, 2014
- Gaza fallout: Playing the Holocaust Card - August 8th, 2014
- How a â€˜kidnappedâ€™ soldier illustrates Israelâ€™s deception - August 4th, 2014
- Israelâ€™s Gaza backlash targets Arab minority - July 31st, 2014
- Stakes rising for Israel as rockets reach airport - July 31st, 2014
- US plays decisive role in Israelâ€™s attack on Gaza - July 24th, 2014
- Islamic leader in Israel watches Hamasâ€™ fate closely - July 24th, 2014
- The strange history of David Cole - July 24th, 2014
- The Dark Art of Being FAIR - July 17th, 2014
- Abbas in firing line over security cooperation with Israel - July 11th, 2014
- Kishinev: In Jewish History and Jewish Memory - July 11th, 2014
- Clashes put Jewish-Arab relations in Israel to the test - July 9th, 2014
- Israelis have the upper hand when it comes to vengeance - July 9th, 2014
- Gary Oldman Becomes a Pariah - June 28th, 2014
- You canâ€™t force-feed occupation to those who crave freedom - June 24th, 2014
- Israelis close their ears to reasons for kidnap - June 22nd, 2014
- Bedouins defiant despite Israel eviction plan - June 15th, 2014
- Iraq Nightmare - June 15th, 2014
- Difficult tests await the new Palestinian unity government - June 9th, 2014
- Christians object to serving in Israelâ€™s army - June 7th, 2014
- Israel plans to outlaw Islamic party - June 5th, 2014
- Cardinal is first top Lebanese cleric in Israel - May 26th, 2014
- Video shows Jewish Museum killer - May 26th, 2014
- Bank of Israel holds rates, extent of weaker growth uncertain - May 26th, 2014
- Pope Offers Israel Gestures of Reconciliation - May 26th, 2014
- Pope Francis pays tribute to founder of Zionism, victims of terror - May 26th, 2014
- Pope Francis balances time with Israelis and Palestinians during visit to Holy Land - May 26th, 2014
- Brussels shooting: Benjamin Netanyahu condemns weak European response to Jewish centre attack - May 26th, 2014
- Pope Francis invites Israeli, Palestinian leaders to Vatican peace talks - Video - May 26th, 2014
- Israelâ€™s Christians need all the support they can get - May 26th, 2014
- Pope visits Holy Land amid tensions - Video - May 26th, 2014
- Pope Mourns Holocaust, Honors Herzl to Conclude Holy Land Visit - May 26th, 2014
- Israel okays 50 new settler homes in E.Jerusalem: councillor - May 26th, 2014
- The History of Israel 5-4-14 - Video - May 26th, 2014
- Israel jobless rate edges down to 5.6 pct in April - May 26th, 2014
- Pope honours Holocaust, terror victims in Israel - May 26th, 2014
- Pope pays tribute to Holocaust, terror victims in Israel - May 26th, 2014
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: