Israelis warns of third intifada
Published: Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:51 AM
JERUSALEM, Feb. 24 (UPI) — Israeli politicians and security officials warned Israel may be facing a third intifada (popular uprising) and urged resumption of talks with the Palestinians.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said he supports a “peaceful” intifada while former West Bank security chief Jibril Rajoub blamed extremists on both sides for the unrest.
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu instructed authorities to transfer tax revenues for January to the Palestinian Authority and called on the Palestinians to restore calm to the area, Israel’s Channel 10 said.
Veteran Israeli politician Binyamin (Fuad) Ben-Eliezer warned Israel is on the verge of a third intifada, which he said would be bloodier than previous uprisings. Ben-Eliezer told Israel Radio that Netanyahu must resume peace talks with the Palestinians before the situation worsens.
The area is headed toward escalating violence mainly because of the shaky economic situation in the Palestinian Authority, Giora Eiland, former national security adviser and army reservist general, told the radio.
Other factors leading to a possible escalation in violence include the Palestinian prisoner issue, price-tag attacks carried out by extremist settlers against Palestinians and “unnecessary statements” by Palestinian officials concerning West Bank settlement building, Eiland said.
Rajoub denied the Palestinians were seeking a third intifada and blamed extremists on both sides for instigating fear and death.
“We don’t want Palestinians in the West Bank and east Jerusalem to drag the area into bloodshed. We want peace and the two-state solution,” he told Israel Radio.
Abbas said Saturday that he favors a peaceful and popular resistance, The Jerusalem Post said. Abbas said he discussed the issue with Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal in Cairo and they reached an agreement on the need for a peaceful intifada.
Follow this link:
Israelis warns of third intifada
- Israel calls off UNESCO Jerusalem tour, blaming Palestinians - May 20th, 2013
- Israel calls off UNESCO mission - May 20th, 2013
- Israel's Lapid speaks of removing some settlers for peace - May 20th, 2013
- Israel calls off UNESCO mission to Jerusalem - May 20th, 2013
- Finance minister says Jerusalem will always be Israeli capital - May 20th, 2013
- UNESCO delegation visits Jerusalem - May 20th, 2013
- Israeli seeks interim deal with Palestinians - May 19th, 2013
- Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat launches reelection campaign - May 19th, 2013
- Serving the Jewish State: Ultra-Orthodox Israelis protest in Jerusalem over IDF draft plans - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Ultra-orthodox Jews protest over army service - May 17th, 2013
- Ultra-Orthodox Jews protest military draft - Video - May 17th, 2013
- German FM Guido Westerwelle meets Israeli Justice Minister Tzipi Livni in Tel Aviv - Video - May 17th, 2013
- Haredim protest military conscription law: thousands of ultra-Orthodox Jews gather in Jerusalem - Video - May 17th, 2013
- Israeli Anti-Draft Protest: thousands of ultra-Orthodox Jews protest military draft in Jerusalem - Video - May 17th, 2013
- Tens of Thousands Protest IDF Draft in Jerusalem [HD] | ????? ??? ???? ??"? ???????? - Video - May 17th, 2013
- Tens of Thousands Protest IDF Draft in Jerusalem [HD] | ????? ??? ???? ??? ???????? - Video - May 17th, 2013
- Ultra-Orthodox turn out en masse to protest draft - Video - May 16th, 2013
- Israel limits non-Muslim visits to Jerusalem mosque - May 16th, 2013
- Israel police limit non-Muslim visits to Jerusalem mosque - May 16th, 2013
- 'Nabka Day' brings clashes between Palestinians and Israeli forces - May 15th, 2013
- Clashes mark Nakba Day in West Bank - May 15th, 2013
- Ed Miliband ranked 20th in worldвЂ™s most influential Jews list - May 15th, 2013
- Journalist Sarah Wildman on Jerusalem and the Eternal Divide of the Holy City - Video - May 14th, 2013
- The story of King David's Tomb, Mount Zion, the Old City of Jerusalem. Tour Guide: Zahi Shaked - Video - May 14th, 2013
- Mortgage Israel | Mortgages When You Buy Property in Israel - Video - May 14th, 2013
- Yaakov Shwekey - Cry No More, Jerusalem - No Llores Mas, Jerusalem (Subtitulado) - Video - May 14th, 2013
- The Old City of Jerusalem - a visit to the most important places in the Jewish Quarter - Video - May 13th, 2013
- A Journey to Mount of Olives and the Jewish Quarter. The Old City of Jerusalem. May 13, 2013 - Video - May 13th, 2013
- Amazing. Palestinian woman dancing with settlers in central Jerusalem - Video - May 13th, 2013
- Jerusalem clerics slam 'brutal' police acts at Easter - May 12th, 2013
- Rare film footage of 1930s life in Palestinian Jerusalem - Video - May 12th, 2013
- Public Buildings Built by Herod in Jerusalem - Video - May 12th, 2013
- Ethiopian Easter Celebration May 2013 in Jerusalem, Israel - Video - May 11th, 2013
- Orthodox Jews protesting as women pray at the Western Wall in Jerusalem - Video - May 11th, 2013
- Scuffles and Arrests at Jerusalem's Western Wall - Video - May 10th, 2013
- BBC News Western Wall arrests: Protests as women pray in Jerusalem - Video - May 10th, 2013
- Police clash with Orthodox Jews protesting at the Western Wall in Jerusalem - Video - May 10th, 2013
- Jerusalem - Episode Three: Judgement Day (BBC Documentary) - Video - May 10th, 2013
- Arrests mar landmark Jerusalem women's prayers - Video - May 10th, 2013
- Women harrassed as they pray at Western Wall in Jerusalem - Video - May 10th, 2013
February 24, 2013 Tags: cairo, giora-eiland, Israel, israel-radio, jerusalem-post, jibril-rajoub, khaled-mashaal, palestinian, prime-minister, radio, reservist, third-intifada-, veteran, veteran-israeli Posted in: Jerusalem
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: