Muslims, Jews gather at Denver mosque to help feed the hungry
Jews and Muslims were in a sticky situation Sunday at the Northeast Denver Islamic Center they were up to their elbows in peanut butter and jelly as they made roughly 1,000 sandwiches to hand out to people on the streets.
“Feel at home,” Imam Abdur-Rahim Ali told his 50 or so guests. “This is a wonderful thing.”
The newly formed crew immediately settled into their sandwich production and happy chatter. They didn’t discuss the violence, tension and deaths in Israel and Gaza.
“We’re not here to talk about that. We’re here to build relationships that will let us talk about things like that,”
“I don’t think God wants us to be killing each other,” he said. “I think he wants us to be feeding each other.”
Alma Ortiz Sayaya, 9, is neither Muslim nor Jew. Her mother, Louise Ortiz, said they heard about this gathering and wanted to be there “to see how one person can make a difference.” Alma already divides her allowance among spending, saving and charity.
Other partners in this interfaith event to benefit Denver’s homeless and hungry were the American Jewish Committee, the Multicultural Mosaic Foundation and The Peanut Butter Plan, a grassroots movement to help feed the poor.
The Denver event was timed in concert with an international
Andrea Mikulin, center, from Turkey, helps her son Demir Mikulin-Osi, 7, make peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches. Muslims and Jews worked together Sunday to make roughly 1,000 peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches to hand out to Denver’s homeless and hungry. (Helen H. Richardson,The Denver Post)
“With all the hardship in the world, I want to focus on what is good our commonalities with our Jewish and Christian neighbors and friends,” said volunteer Pamela Altunsoy, a Muslim whose 4-year-old daughter Miriam was about to eat the nearest PB&J.
See the rest here:
Muslims, Jews gather at Denver mosque to help feed the hungry
- US report says discrimination against Jews, Muslims on rise across globe - May 21st, 2013
- Religious bigotry rising, says US - May 20th, 2013
- NYC museum shows how American Jews worked to bring refugees from Nazi Europe to US - May 20th, 2013
- Exhibit on US Jews who helped refugees from Nazis - May 20th, 2013
- Webinar: Insiders and Outsiders - Jews and the Civil Rights Movement - Video - May 20th, 2013
- What 'Jews a Race' Debate Means for Israel - May 20th, 2013
- Brooklyn, shmooklyn! Upper E. Side center woos Jews - May 20th, 2013
- Illuminati, NWO, Names - May 19th, 2013
- Why the Magna Carta anniversary celebrations will be missing two crucial paragraphs - May 19th, 2013
- The Gospel according to Sand: We are not Jews - May 19th, 2013
- Swedish Jews protest anti-Semitism: hundreds demonstrate in Malmo amid climate of fear - Video - May 19th, 2013
- Bayonne Chocolate Festival celebrates key role of Sephardic Jews in French chocolate heritage - Video - May 19th, 2013
- Beck Angers Jews With Nazi Image - Video - May 19th, 2013
- Adolf Hitler We shall crush the Freemasons! Jews) - Video - May 19th, 2013
- Swedish Jews march against hate: hundreds protest in Malmo over rising tide of anti-Semitism - Video - May 19th, 2013
- Many of SpainвЂ™s Sephardic Jews Still Waiting for Citizenship - May 19th, 2013
- Lifestyle of Iranian Jews in Beverly Hills S01E01 Part 2 of 3 - Video - May 19th, 2013
- What did the Jews do to the Germans - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Marching Against Anti-Semitism: Jews in Malmo draw attention to increasing intolerance - Video - May 18th, 2013
- The decorated holy horse at the Muharram Procession - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Muharram2011-hdv-tape 1-32 - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Inflicting wounds on themselves with knives on chains - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Muharram at Karbala, New Delhi - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Chanting and Chest beating at Muharram procession - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Muharram2011-hdv-tape 1-29 - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Mourning of Muharram - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Productive Jews harassed and attacked in Malmo? Sweden by unproductive Muslim immigrants - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Ultra-Orthodox Jews protest in Jerusalem over army enlistment plans - May 18th, 2013
- Review of Exhibition on Jews in Greece During the Holocaust in Glen Cove - May 18th, 2013
- 'The Office' Series Finale -- Angela Kinsey's FAVORITE Moment: Jews - May 17th, 2013
- Ultra-Orthodox Jews protest Israel army draft - May 17th, 2013
- The Jews That Brought Slavery to America - Walter White Jr. - Full - Video - May 17th, 2013
- Ultra-orthodox Jews protest over army service - May 17th, 2013
- The Sad Lesson of Alan Hart - May 17th, 2013
- Ultra-Orthodox Jews protest military draft - Video - May 17th, 2013
- ????? ????? ???? ????? ???? ????? ?????? ?????? ?????? ?? ??????? ???????? - Video - May 17th, 2013
- Tens Of Thousands Of Ultra-Orthodox Jews Protest Against NEW Israel Army Draft - Video - May 17th, 2013
- 'US clamps down on Bitcoin, fears lack of control' - Video - May 17th, 2013
- PHOTOS: Orthodox Jews In Jerusalem Riot Against Military Conscription - May 17th, 2013
- SHOCKING: SMALL KIDS FLAGELLATE THEMSELVES AT MUHARRAM - Video - May 17th, 2013
November 18, 2012 Tags: andrea-mikulin, Christian, commonalities, demir-mikulin-, denver-, islamic-center, Israel, louise-ortiz, muslim, northeast, ortiz-sayaya, peanut-butter, sunday, turkey, violence Posted in: Jews
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: