Student organizations rally to show support for Israel, Palestine
Turlington Plaza was packed but divided Thursday afternoon.
At about 12:30 p.m., about 100 UF students rallied in response to the rocket attacks in southern Israel and Gaza launched by Palestinian militants.
According to CNN, more than 300 rockets have been launched since Wednesday as part of the latest developments in the historical conflict stemming from cultural differences.
The military leader of Hamas, an Islamic political party with a militant wing, was assassinated earlier this week. Palestinian rockets have killed at least 18 people.
For the last decade, Israeli civilians around the Gaza Strip, which is a little piece of land, have been living under the threat of rocket fire, said Josh Kahn, the Jewish Agency Israel Fellow to UF Hillel.
The 28-year-old helped organize the pro-Israel rally, which was put together Wednesday night by varying Jewish organizations on UFs campus.
This is being fired discriminately at neighborhoods, he said. These are not military targets. Its literally schools and houses.
Above heads, signs read NO to HAMAS, YES to PEACE and Pro Peace. The crowd sang Jewish prayers and chanted, Its great to be a Jewish Gator.
Across the plaza, a smaller group brandished a Palestinian flag. UF Students for a Democratic Society lead organizer Skye Schmelzer, a 20-year-old history junior, said they were there to counter-protest in support of Palestine.
Kahn said the event was not meant to be Israel versus Palestine.
- Street closed all week for fair and parade - May 21st, 2013
- Interview: Rogue Venture Partner's Tom Sperry on Mentoring Entrepreneurs in Palestine - May 20th, 2013
- Op-Ed: One of the Best Hopes for Mideast Peace Just Called it Quits - May 20th, 2013
- Occupied Beauty: Warships and Fishers in Gaza's Waters - Video - May 19th, 2013
- Histoire de la Palestine 1880 -1950 complet - Video - May 19th, 2013
- Rights Group: Israeli Man in Police Uniform Sexually Abuses 2 Boys - May 19th, 2013
- 051513 Gilad Atzmon, Oakland, CA 6 of 6 - Video - May 19th, 2013
- Israelis question wisdom of Google decision to put Palestine prematurely on the online map - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Gazastrophe Palestine documentaire - Video - May 18th, 2013
- PALESTINE: ne les oublions pas ! - Video - May 18th, 2013
- 051513 Gilad Atzmon - May 18th, 2013
- ISRAEL Vs PALESTINE American people UNAWARE of Israeli CRIMES due to Biased Mainstream Media - Video - May 18th, 2013
- Palestine vs Austria in skiing - Video - May 17th, 2013
- Sovereign Pedagogies: Two Talks and Spoken Word from Hawai'i to Palestine - Video - May 17th, 2013
- 4862 E US Highway 84 Palestine TX 75801 - James Chambers - Video - May 17th, 2013
- teaser Concert Palestine Will Be Back - Video - May 17th, 2013
- Sweden: Singing for Palestine - Video - May 17th, 2013
- Daily English News - 'US roadblock to Palestine aspirations' - Video - May 17th, 2013
- Palestine loves Dr Bashar Al Assad - Video - May 16th, 2013
- Palestine Museum to preserve and commemorate nationâ€™s past - May 16th, 2013
- Arab Idol palestine tv beirut - Video - May 16th, 2013
- English News Today - 'US roadblock to Palestine aspirations' - Video - May 16th, 2013
- 'US roadblock to Palestine aspirations' - Video - May 16th, 2013
- Palestine before Al-Nakba(May15/1948) - Video - May 16th, 2013
- Wonderful places in Palestine ? - Video - May 16th, 2013
- Palestine Day of Nakba/Protests in Palestine-Sahar Urdu NEWS-????? - Video - May 16th, 2013
- Protests all over the Globe on Nakba Day/Israeli Occupation of Palestine-Sahar Urdu NEWS-????? - Video - May 16th, 2013
- ????? ????-Nakba Day/Zionist occupation of Palestine/An Analysis by Sharafat Mahdi - Video - May 16th, 2013
- Complete News - The Nakba day of Palestine - Video - May 16th, 2013
- English News Today - The Nakba day of Palestine - Video - May 16th, 2013
- 'ICC probe on Israel significant' - Video - May 16th, 2013
- ALERT NEWS.. UN Rep Poses With Map of 'Palestine' â€” But Something's Missing IT'S ISRAEL! - Video - May 16th, 2013
- UN Rep Poses With Map of 'Palestine' â€” But Something's Missing. IT'S ISRAEL! - Video - May 15th, 2013
- 6 heures pour la Palestine (3) - Video - May 15th, 2013
- For Palestinians, Google's Small Change Is A Big Deal - May 15th, 2013
- DA Does Not Receive Money From Israel - May 15th, 2013
- The Nakba day of Palestine - Video - May 15th, 2013
- IsraÃ«l-Palestine _ Apartheid, la fin d'un tabou _TV5MONDE - Video - May 15th, 2013
- The Origins of Palestine: Heretic Productions - Video - May 15th, 2013
- UN Rep Poses With Map of â€˜Palestineâ€™ â€” But Somethingâ€™s Missing - May 14th, 2013
November 16, 2012 Tags: a-militant-wing, a-smaller-group, around-the-gaza, democratic, israel-fellow, jewish-agency, military-leader, Palestine, palestinian, political-party, wednesday Posted in: Palestine
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: