Trayvon Martin's parents visit Stephen Lawrence memorial
The parents of 17 year old Trayvon Martin arrived in London this morning, to thank the British people who have lent their support.
Among the many letters of condolence which they received was one from Doreen Lawrence, whose own son was killed in a racist attack in South London 19 years ago. The two families met today, at the memorial to Stephen’s death, united by a search for meaning, amid their personal grief.
A day to look back, as well as forward: a reminder of a young man’s killing that has become as totemic for America as Stephen Lawrence’s death was in Britain.
For the Martins, their grief is still raw: it’s been barely two months since the night when their son walked through a gated community in Sanford, Florida and was challenged by neighbourhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman. There was a confrontation. Screaming. Gunshots. By 7.25pm, Trayvon Martin, armed only with a packet of Skittles and a soft drink, was killed.
The initial police investigation was so cursory, that Zimmerman was barely asked any questions about the shooting, his alleged injuries barely examined, charges never brought. Police said there was no evidence to disprove his claim that he shot Martin in self-defence.
Amid the growing backlash, and the growing distress of the black community, hundreds of thousands of people began signing an online petition demanding Zimmerman’s arrest. Tapes of the 911 calls made on the night of the shooting emerged in the media. Finally the Justice Department launched its own investigation.
Barely a month after the shooting, Trayvon Martin had become a cause: a symbol not just of America’s dysfunctional relationship with race, and guns, but a powerful political statement. “I am Trayvon Martin” became a nationwide slogan, emblazoned on banners, T-shirts, bumper stickers.
Thousands of people took to the streets, holding rallies around the country to demand “Justice for Trayvon”. They wore hoodies, in tribute to the one the teenager was wearing the night he was shot: some brandished bags of Skittles. President Obama spoke publicly for the first time, calling for some national soul searching: “If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon”, he said.
The hoodie swiftly became a symbol in itself, worn by members of Congress, sporting stars, school kids. The rallies became known as the ‘Million Hoodie March’.
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
www,hommed sxs arbk
sandy hook fake debunk
gordon parks kkk
hitler ultimate bully
eline hoekstra dresden
dave hunt 2013 debate
lew rockwell anti semite
kanye west palestine
- Helicopter footage shows huge crowd of reporters gathered outside Royal baby hospital - Video - December 5th, 2013
- Jamie Foxx's Electro ala Trayvon Martin, Christoph Waltz in Pirates 5?! - Beyond The Trailer - Video - December 5th, 2013
- George Zimmerman's Wife on Their Marriage, Trayvon Martin -Abc News Here - Video - December 5th, 2013
- George Zimmerman's Wife Talks About Trayvon Martin Shooting -Abc News Here - Video - December 5th, 2013
- Times Topics Page | Trayvon Martin - The New York Times ... - December 3rd, 2013
- Trayvon Martin Edition CFC Thanksgiving 2013 Kinston NC - Video - December 1st, 2013
- Sybrina Fulton | Trayvon Martin's Mother | Checking Under The Hood - Video - December 1st, 2013
- Warrant: Zimmerman Had 5 Guns, Ammo When Arrested - Video - December 1st, 2013
- 10/29 The Young Turks are Liars or Paid Hacks Trayvon Martin George Zimmerman - Video - December 1st, 2013
- Tommy Runs Into White Fan Who Disagrees With His Stance On Trayvon Martin In Houston! - Video - November 29th, 2013
- America Breaking News-Beyonce and Jay Z Show Their Support for Trayvon Martin at NYC Rally - Video - November 29th, 2013
- Macklemore References Trayvon Martin, Racial Profiling In American Music Awards Acceptance Speech - Video - November 29th, 2013
- snopes.com: Trayvon Martin Photos - November 29th, 2013
- George Zimmerman arrested for threatening new girlfriend with shotgun - Video - November 28th, 2013
- George Zimmerman ARRESTED Seminole County For Domestic Disturbance - Video - November 28th, 2013
- Macklemore Addresses Trayvon Martin, Racial Profiling But Forgets To Mention The New "Knockout" Game - Video - November 28th, 2013
- Trayvon Martin News, Photos and Videos - ABC News - November 28th, 2013
- Trayvon Martin Case (George Zimmerman) - The New York Times ... - November 28th, 2013
- Trayvon Martin - Bio, News, Photos - Washington Times - November 28th, 2013
- Trayvon Martin News - George Zimmerman drops public defender ... - November 28th, 2013
- (HD) George Zimmerman posts $9,000 bail in domestic violence case - Video - November 26th, 2013
- Did Zimmerman put gun in mouth, want to die? - Video - November 26th, 2013
- Black Man Wanted By Police For Raping Young Girls - Video - November 26th, 2013
- Trayvon Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - November 26th, 2013
- Future Trayvon Martin's - Negro parents, 7 kids go on Boca shoplifting spree - Video - November 24th, 2013
- I Am Trayvon Martin - Yet another black mob attacking whites at random - Video - November 24th, 2013
- I Am Trayvon Martin - Media blames brutal racial mob attack on "skateboarders" - Video - November 24th, 2013
- I Am Trayvon Martin - Ohio couple arrested for kidnap and torture of three people - Video - November 24th, 2013
- George Zimmerman Arrested in Florida Following 'Disturbance' Call - Video - November 24th, 2013
- KILLED TRAYVON! GEORGE ZIMMERMAN ARRESTED! WILL KILL GIRLFRIEND SAMANTHA SCHEIBE NEXT! - Video - November 24th, 2013
- George Zimmerman 911 call about Trayvon Martin UnRedacted - Video - November 24th, 2013
- George Zimmerman Arrested After 'Disturbance' - Video - November 24th, 2013
- The Five On Zimmerman's Arrest: 'It Proves That He Was Much More Dangerous Than Trayvon Martin' - Video - November 24th, 2013
- NBC News Vice President 'I Could Have Been Trayvon Martin' - Video - November 24th, 2013
- The Five: Arrest Proves Zimmerman 'Much More Dangerous' Than Trayvon Martin Ever Was - Video - November 22nd, 2013
- George Zimmerman Defense Attorney Tasteless 'Knock Knock' Joke In Trayvon Martin Trial!!! - Video - November 22nd, 2013
- BREAKING: George Zimmerman Arrested AGAIN after Disturbance Call in Central Florida - Video - November 20th, 2013
- I Am Trayvon Martin - 4 year old of white woman dating negro dead from severe beating - Video - November 18th, 2013
- I Am Trayvon Martin - Negro Rapes and murders 3 year old, 18 month old and mother. - Video - November 18th, 2013
- Spike Lee on His Trayvon Martin Tweet: "I Did a Stupid Thing" - Oprah's Next Chapter - OWN - Video - November 18th, 2013
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: