Trayvon Martin's parents visit Stephen Lawrence memorial
The parents of 17 year old Trayvon Martin arrived in London this morning, to thank the British people who have lent their support.
Among the many letters of condolence which they received was one from Doreen Lawrence, whose own son was killed in a racist attack in South London 19 years ago. The two families met today, at the memorial to Stephen’s death, united by a search for meaning, amid their personal grief.
A day to look back, as well as forward: a reminder of a young man’s killing that has become as totemic for America as Stephen Lawrence’s death was in Britain.
For the Martins, their grief is still raw: it’s been barely two months since the night when their son walked through a gated community in Sanford, Florida and was challenged by neighbourhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman. There was a confrontation. Screaming. Gunshots. By 7.25pm, Trayvon Martin, armed only with a packet of Skittles and a soft drink, was killed.
The initial police investigation was so cursory, that Zimmerman was barely asked any questions about the shooting, his alleged injuries barely examined, charges never brought. Police said there was no evidence to disprove his claim that he shot Martin in self-defence.
Amid the growing backlash, and the growing distress of the black community, hundreds of thousands of people began signing an online petition demanding Zimmerman’s arrest. Tapes of the 911 calls made on the night of the shooting emerged in the media. Finally the Justice Department launched its own investigation.
Barely a month after the shooting, Trayvon Martin had become a cause: a symbol not just of America’s dysfunctional relationship with race, and guns, but a powerful political statement. “I am Trayvon Martin” became a nationwide slogan, emblazoned on banners, T-shirts, bumper stickers.
Thousands of people took to the streets, holding rallies around the country to demand “Justice for Trayvon”. They wore hoodies, in tribute to the one the teenager was wearing the night he was shot: some brandished bags of Skittles. President Obama spoke publicly for the first time, calling for some national soul searching: “If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon”, he said.
The hoodie swiftly became a symbol in itself, worn by members of Congress, sporting stars, school kids. The rallies became known as the ‘Million Hoodie March’.
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
meghan markle jewish
jeffress anti semitism tim
george zimmerman gang ties
vatican germany's black holocaust
kkk prime ministers 1920s
jews fucked america
alex jones full february 22, 2013
sara hypnotizes friend
bill cosby 83 tired speech
ashley blue hating muslims
- Rachel Maddow - Michele Bachmann & Rick Santorum Sign 'The Marriage Vow' - Video - March 7th, 2014
- L.A. RIOT 2013 :- George Zimmerman Verdict Protest & Rioting In Los Angeles,CA - Video - March 7th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin's Mother Speaks at UConn - Video - March 7th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin Tribute - Video - March 7th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin Car Club Tribute PT 2 - Video - March 7th, 2014
- Report: Gun show may cancel over Zimmerman appearance - March 7th, 2014
- Rick Ross Slanders Trayvon Martin on New Album. - Video - March 5th, 2014
- Civil rights attorney John Burris: A Perspective on the Trayvon Martin trial, and race! - Video - March 5th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin & Facing Our Truth - Video - March 5th, 2014
- Dr. Phil and Juror 29 are Idiots! Trayvon Martin George Zimmerman - Video - March 5th, 2014
- Vigils Planned For Trayvon Martin On 2nd Anniversary Of Shooting - Video - March 5th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin's Mother Speaks To OSU Students On Gun Laws - March 5th, 2014
- Obama: America cares about men of color Trayvon Martin - Lone Wolf - facebook.com/sagerwayne - Video - March 4th, 2014
- Rick Ross Defends Controversial Trayvon Martin Lyric on ... - March 4th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin's Father, Tracy Martin, Says Country Values ... - March 4th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin's mother wants to help others - March 4th, 2014
- Trayvon Martins mother making Milwaukee appearance this month - March 4th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin's mother to speak in Milwaukee - March 4th, 2014
- George Zimmerman: The President and Attorney General tried to use him as a Scapegoat - Video - March 3rd, 2014
- Jordan Davis Defense team React to Guilty Verdict - Florida loud music trial - Video - March 3rd, 2014
- Trayvon Martin Target Practice Controversy (new) HD [documentary] - Video - March 3rd, 2014
- Trayvon Martin's mother challenges 'Stand Your Ground' - March 3rd, 2014
- FRUIT ART IN THE PHILIPPINES AS FRUIT CARVING WATER MELONS INTO FLOWERS & Obama Trayvon Martin - Video - March 2nd, 2014
- George Zimmerman a victim? - Video - March 2nd, 2014
- Trayvon Martins Mother Speaks Out At UConn - March 2nd, 2014
- Trayvon Martin family attorney speaks in Memphis - March 2nd, 2014
- Rick Ross Responds to Disrespectful Trayvon Martin Lyrics - Video - February 28th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin's Mother, At UConn, Challenges 'Stand Your Ground' - February 28th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin's Attorney To Speak In Memphis - February 28th, 2014
- Vigils planned on 2-year anniversary of Trayvon Martin's death - Video - February 28th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin and Rick Ross - Video - February 28th, 2014
- Nugent defends himselfFlorida Sergeant Fired for Using Trayvon Hoodie Shooting Targets, Defends Hims - Video - February 28th, 2014
- Rally in Birmingham marks anniversary of Trayvon Martin Death - Video - February 28th, 2014
- Ross defends Trayvon lyric - February 28th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin Lyric Lands Rapper Rick Ross In Trouble - February 28th, 2014
- Rick Ross Responds To Backlash Over Trayvon Martin Lyric On Mastermind - February 28th, 2014
- Rick Ross defends Trayvon Martin lyric on 'Mastermind' - February 28th, 2014
- Rick Ross Addresses Criticism Over Trayvon Martin Lyric - February 28th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin's attorney speaking in Memphis - February 28th, 2014
- Trayvon Martins mom speaking Fri. - February 28th, 2014
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: