Trayvon Martin's parents visit Stephen Lawrence memorial
The parents of 17 year old Trayvon Martin arrived in London this morning, to thank the British people who have lent their support.
Among the many letters of condolence which they received was one from Doreen Lawrence, whose own son was killed in a racist attack in South London 19 years ago. The two families met today, at the memorial to Stephen’s death, united by a search for meaning, amid their personal grief.
A day to look back, as well as forward: a reminder of a young man’s killing that has become as totemic for America as Stephen Lawrence’s death was in Britain.
For the Martins, their grief is still raw: it’s been barely two months since the night when their son walked through a gated community in Sanford, Florida and was challenged by neighbourhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman. There was a confrontation. Screaming. Gunshots. By 7.25pm, Trayvon Martin, armed only with a packet of Skittles and a soft drink, was killed.
The initial police investigation was so cursory, that Zimmerman was barely asked any questions about the shooting, his alleged injuries barely examined, charges never brought. Police said there was no evidence to disprove his claim that he shot Martin in self-defence.
Amid the growing backlash, and the growing distress of the black community, hundreds of thousands of people began signing an online petition demanding Zimmerman’s arrest. Tapes of the 911 calls made on the night of the shooting emerged in the media. Finally the Justice Department launched its own investigation.
Barely a month after the shooting, Trayvon Martin had become a cause: a symbol not just of America’s dysfunctional relationship with race, and guns, but a powerful political statement. “I am Trayvon Martin” became a nationwide slogan, emblazoned on banners, T-shirts, bumper stickers.
Thousands of people took to the streets, holding rallies around the country to demand “Justice for Trayvon”. They wore hoodies, in tribute to the one the teenager was wearing the night he was shot: some brandished bags of Skittles. President Obama spoke publicly for the first time, calling for some national soul searching: “If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon”, he said.
The hoodie swiftly became a symbol in itself, worn by members of Congress, sporting stars, school kids. The rallies became known as the ‘Million Hoodie March’.
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
channel news palestinian territories banksy
adl oscar contriversy
rudolph jew jews review
war thunder unlimited eagles hack
holocaust survivors raleigh march 10th
celeb adl tube
gordon parks ku klux klan
david miscavige jewish
cohen jewish experience torrent
www sex arabs com
- Trayvon Martin Protesters Rip Down Fence Jump on Cars During Violent Protest - Video - April 16th, 2014
- Kobe Bryant Criticized Miami Heat for Stance on Trayvon Martin Case - Video - April 16th, 2014
- Laker @KobeBryant Insults Miami Heat Over Their Support Of Trayvon Martin - Video - April 16th, 2014
- Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives by Deepak Chopra - Video - April 16th, 2014
- New Book Revisits & Re-Examines The Trayvon Martin Murder Case - Video - April 16th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin Photos - snopes.com: Urban Legends ... - April 16th, 2014
- Mother of Trayvon Martin to speak at Kansas State - April 16th, 2014
- Beth Marshall Presents announces 2014-15 season - April 16th, 2014
- Lawyer for Trayvon Martin's family brings message of civil rights to Burlington - April 16th, 2014
- Michigan's stand-your-ground law - April 16th, 2014
- T-Smooth $$- Lebron's Hairline Killed Trayvon Martin - Video - April 15th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin And Jordan Davis Mothers Join Forces To Fight "Stand Your Ground" Laws - Video - April 15th, 2014
- "Facing the Truth 2 Years Later" (Trayvon Martin tribute) at Free Street Theater - Video - April 15th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin | News One - April 15th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin Death - The Huffington Post - April 15th, 2014
- Beth Marshall Presents announces 2014-15 season - April 15th, 2014
- Orlando production company announces 3 plays on Trayvon Martin - April 15th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin Surveillance Video of 7 Eleven - Video - April 13th, 2014
- State of Florida Releases Dramatic Audio Footage of Trayvon Martin's Girlfriend - Video - April 13th, 2014
- New Book Revisits & Re-Examines The Trayvon Martin Murder Case - Video - April 13th, 2014
- George Zimmerman Found NOT GUILTY - Video - April 13th, 2014
- Racism in America: Revisiting Zimmerman - Video - April 13th, 2014
- Michigan's stand-your-ground law - April 13th, 2014
- Let It Rip Weekend: Paintings for Pensions & Self Defense Laws - April 13th, 2014
- Spike Lee sued over George Zimmerman tweet - April 13th, 2014
- AJR THINKS: Kobe Bryant Controversy - Trayvon Martin Comments - Video - April 12th, 2014
- Howard Stern Argues with Staff About Trayvon Zimmerman Case - Video - April 12th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin Protesters Rip Down Fence Jump on Cars During Violent Protest - Video - April 12th, 2014
- Agree Or Disagree W/ Kobe Bryant On Trayvon Martin: You sit and you listen to the facts. - Video - April 12th, 2014
- Kobe Bryant Criticized Miami Heat for Stance on Trayvon Martin Case - Video - April 12th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin Photos - snopes.com: Urban Legends ... - April 12th, 2014
- Kobe is correct - April 12th, 2014
- Parents of Trayvon Martin speak out at gun violence seminar - April 11th, 2014
- Ben Crenshaw--Best of Ben at Augusta - Video - April 10th, 2014
- Rep. Steve King: Unemployment Benefits Have Created A Nation Of Slackers - Video - April 9th, 2014
- Elizabeth Warren Ben Bernanke Q & A. 7 18 2013 - Video - April 9th, 2014
- Guest speaker creates controversy at Campbell Law School - April 9th, 2014
- Scarborough Blasts Conservative Media Dont Antagonize Black Voters Because You Hate Sharpt - Video - April 8th, 2014
- George Zimmerman Trial 'The A Holes' Debate - Video - April 8th, 2014
- Howard Stern Show Biggest Celebrity Asshole Bracket 03 27 13 - Video - April 8th, 2014
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: