Trayvon Martin's parents visit Stephen Lawrence memorial
The parents of 17 year old Trayvon Martin arrived in London this morning, to thank the British people who have lent their support.
Among the many letters of condolence which they received was one from Doreen Lawrence, whose own son was killed in a racist attack in South London 19 years ago. The two families met today, at the memorial to Stephen’s death, united by a search for meaning, amid their personal grief.
A day to look back, as well as forward: a reminder of a young man’s killing that has become as totemic for America as Stephen Lawrence’s death was in Britain.
For the Martins, their grief is still raw: it’s been barely two months since the night when their son walked through a gated community in Sanford, Florida and was challenged by neighbourhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman. There was a confrontation. Screaming. Gunshots. By 7.25pm, Trayvon Martin, armed only with a packet of Skittles and a soft drink, was killed.
The initial police investigation was so cursory, that Zimmerman was barely asked any questions about the shooting, his alleged injuries barely examined, charges never brought. Police said there was no evidence to disprove his claim that he shot Martin in self-defence.
Amid the growing backlash, and the growing distress of the black community, hundreds of thousands of people began signing an online petition demanding Zimmerman’s arrest. Tapes of the 911 calls made on the night of the shooting emerged in the media. Finally the Justice Department launched its own investigation.
Barely a month after the shooting, Trayvon Martin had become a cause: a symbol not just of America’s dysfunctional relationship with race, and guns, but a powerful political statement. “I am Trayvon Martin” became a nationwide slogan, emblazoned on banners, T-shirts, bumper stickers.
Thousands of people took to the streets, holding rallies around the country to demand “Justice for Trayvon”. They wore hoodies, in tribute to the one the teenager was wearing the night he was shot: some brandished bags of Skittles. President Obama spoke publicly for the first time, calling for some national soul searching: “If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon”, he said.
The hoodie swiftly became a symbol in itself, worn by members of Congress, sporting stars, school kids. The rallies became known as the ‘Million Hoodie March’.
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
germany pay documentary
azra jabeen symantec
christians debate jewdism 2013
Ethiopia Muziqa 2013
secular music christian jewish spain download
blak ryno february 23rd 2013
www,hommed sxs arbk
- Broken hearts coming together in Ferguson - Video - September 1st, 2014
- Trayvon Martin - Biography - - Biography.com - September 1st, 2014
- Trayvon Martin, Karvas Gamble mothers find silent bond with Michael Brown's family - September 1st, 2014
- USA: Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown's parents push for peace - Video - August 31st, 2014
- 'Lean on Him': Mothers unite after losing sons - Video - August 31st, 2014
- Hidden Genius: Kalimah Priforce and Oakland's First Hackathon for Black Male Achievement - Video - August 31st, 2014
- The Mothers Of Trayvon Martin, Sean Bell & Michael Brown Meet For The First Time Interview With CNN - Video - August 31st, 2014
- Executive Action: Sen. Rubio, Rep. King Threaten Shutdown Over Immigration (1/2) - Video - August 31st, 2014
- Trayvon Martin's Mother Pens Letter to Michael Brown's Family 'Neither of Their Lives Shall Be in - Video - August 31st, 2014
- Trayvon Martin | Black America Web - August 31st, 2014
- The Trayvon Martin Tragedy | News | BET - Celebrities ... - August 31st, 2014
- Trayvon Martin parents to join rally for slain Missouri teen - August 31st, 2014
- St. Louis holds peace festival, with message from Michael Brown's family - August 31st, 2014
- Mark Cuban apologizes to Trayvon Martins family - May 26th, 2014
- Mark Cuban Sorry for Trayvon Martin 'Hoodie' Remark - May 26th, 2014
- Mark Cuban's Trayvon Martin example while explaining bigotry doesn't go over well - Video - May 25th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin News - Roseanne Barr's attorneys: The ... - May 25th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin Family Given an Apology by Mark Cuban - May 24th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin And Jordan Davis: Stand Your Ground Study Claims More Black People Helped By Law Than Whites - May 24th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin VS Stand Your Ground: Is The Gun Control Laws Fight Based Upon Misunderstandings? - May 24th, 2014
- Opinion: So what took Obama so long? - May 24th, 2014
- Mark Cuban -- APOLOGIZES TO TRAYVON MARTIN'S FAMILY - Video - May 23rd, 2014
- Mark Cuban Interview: Admits Black Racism, Trayvon Martin Hoodie Stereotype - Video - May 23rd, 2014
- Mark Cuban apologizes to Trayvon Martin family - May 23rd, 2014
- Mark Cuban Apologizes To Trayvon Martins Family After Hoodie Remark - May 23rd, 2014
- Mark Cuban Apologizes To Trayvon Martin's Family For 'Black Kid In A Hoodie' Comment, But Stands By Interview On ... - May 23rd, 2014
- Mark Cuban apologizes to Trayvon Martin's family for his comments - May 23rd, 2014
- Mark Cuban apologizes for Trayvon Martin reference - May 23rd, 2014
- Mark Cuban Apologizes to Trayvon Martin Family for Black Kid in a Hoodie Comment - May 23rd, 2014
- Mark Cuban apologizes to Trayvon Martin family after Inc. magazine bigotry comments - May 23rd, 2014
- Mark Cuban Apologises to Trayvon Martin Family For 'Black Kid In A Hoodie' Comment - May 23rd, 2014
- Cuban to Trayvon kin: I'm sorry - May 23rd, 2014
- Mark Cuban apologizes to Trayvon Martin's family for controversial comments - May 23rd, 2014
- Dr Phil Show Trayvon Martin s Parents Edited Sept 14, 2012 - Video - May 21st, 2014
- Trayvon Martin Movie - Video - May 21st, 2014
- Trayvon Martin Case, Health Care Law, Tax Increase on Social Security, World Bank (2012) - Video - May 21st, 2014
- (NEW)2014 R3VOLVA- Trayvon Martin song - Video - May 21st, 2014
- Palmetto Star, host of 2RAW4TV, drops a #LoveBomb for Trayvon Martin - Video - May 20th, 2014
- Limbaugh Slams Media Coverage Of 'Bored' Teen Killers: Trayvon Martin In Reverse - Video - May 19th, 2014
- RUSH: Media Doing To Dzhokhar What They Did To Trayvon Martin. Try To Make Him Look Like A Kid. - Video - May 19th, 2014
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: