Trayvon Martin's parents visit Stephen Lawrence memorial
The parents of 17 year old Trayvon Martin arrived in London this morning, to thank the British people who have lent their support.
Among the many letters of condolence which they received was one from Doreen Lawrence, whose own son was killed in a racist attack in South London 19 years ago. The two families met today, at the memorial to Stephen’s death, united by a search for meaning, amid their personal grief.
A day to look back, as well as forward: a reminder of a young man’s killing that has become as totemic for America as Stephen Lawrence’s death was in Britain.
For the Martins, their grief is still raw: it’s been barely two months since the night when their son walked through a gated community in Sanford, Florida and was challenged by neighbourhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman. There was a confrontation. Screaming. Gunshots. By 7.25pm, Trayvon Martin, armed only with a packet of Skittles and a soft drink, was killed.
The initial police investigation was so cursory, that Zimmerman was barely asked any questions about the shooting, his alleged injuries barely examined, charges never brought. Police said there was no evidence to disprove his claim that he shot Martin in self-defence.
Amid the growing backlash, and the growing distress of the black community, hundreds of thousands of people began signing an online petition demanding Zimmerman’s arrest. Tapes of the 911 calls made on the night of the shooting emerged in the media. Finally the Justice Department launched its own investigation.
Barely a month after the shooting, Trayvon Martin had become a cause: a symbol not just of America’s dysfunctional relationship with race, and guns, but a powerful political statement. “I am Trayvon Martin” became a nationwide slogan, emblazoned on banners, T-shirts, bumper stickers.
Thousands of people took to the streets, holding rallies around the country to demand “Justice for Trayvon”. They wore hoodies, in tribute to the one the teenager was wearing the night he was shot: some brandished bags of Skittles. President Obama spoke publicly for the first time, calling for some national soul searching: “If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon”, he said.
The hoodie swiftly became a symbol in itself, worn by members of Congress, sporting stars, school kids. The rallies became known as the ‘Million Hoodie March’.
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
sexy legs isrel
heaven revealed john price
jews peopleâ€™s history watch online
ittehad teachers palestine
surpass neuro endograft
israel christian nexus
- MURDER IN THE PHILIPPINES But The Rat Bastard Has Been Dic Of Doomed & Obama Trayvon Martin 00134 - Video - November 22nd, 2014
- Trayvon Martin Parents Interview Sybrina Fulton And Tracy Martin First Talk Since Verdict 360p - Video - November 19th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin by Jody Nelson - Video - November 18th, 2014
- Highstrung - "Social Injustice" Viral Video - Video - November 18th, 2014
- Remarks at Men's Meeting in St Louis (Ferguson) with Tracy Martin and Michael Brown Sr. - Video - November 17th, 2014
- George Zimmerman grand jury considers civil rights case - November 14th, 2014
- Former George Zimmerman Supporter Says Trayvon Martin Was Profiled Due To Race - November 14th, 2014
- TI New National Anthem Video Remix Mike Brown & Trayvon Martin #BoomTeam - Video - November 13th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin's mother to speak at Penn in January - November 13th, 2014
- Former Zimmerman supporter appears for grand jury testimony - November 12th, 2014
- Man known for defending George Zimmerman has change of heart, testifies for grand jury - November 12th, 2014
- Illegal alien mexican bus driver causing a crash in san antonio texas - Video - November 12th, 2014
- King James - Don't Shoot [Mike Brown x Trayvon Martin x Chavis Carter] Official Video - Video - November 12th, 2014
- Black negro african immigrants being beaten by arabs in saudi arabia - Video - November 10th, 2014
- MSNBC live interview, Trayvon Martin George Zimmerman trial - Video - November 10th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin plaque missing in Iowa: Column - November 10th, 2014
- Michael Browns parents to discuss racial profiling, human rights at United Nations - November 10th, 2014
- Trayvon Martins dad joins local effort to end culture of violence - November 9th, 2014
- Attorney who represented Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown's families to speak at University of South Alabama - November 7th, 2014
- Grand jury convenes in civil-rights case involving George Zimmerman - November 6th, 2014
- Grand jury to decide if Trayvon Martin's civil rights were violated - November 6th, 2014
- Dr. A. Breeze Harper aka "Sistah Vegan" at Middlebury College - Video - November 5th, 2014
- Rip mike brown and trayvon martin - Video - November 1st, 2014
- Alex Wagner OK With Racial Fear Tactics - If That's What It Takes For Dems To Win - Video - November 1st, 2014
- Heres Jesse Williams Venting About Ferguson and Trayvon Martin Halloween Costumes - November 1st, 2014
- Midterms 2014 Ads: Democrats Use Race, Trayvon Martin And Mike Brown Shootings To Court Black Voters - November 1st, 2014
- George Zimmerman case heads to federal grand jury - November 1st, 2014
- Ads scrutinized in black voter drive - November 1st, 2014
- Lil Trayvon vs Whiteboy(TRAYVON MARTIN TRIBUTE)R.I.W - Video - October 30th, 2014
- Beats & Instrumentals: De Lori aka "Trayvon Martin" [prod. by marvillousbeats - Video - October 30th, 2014
- Paula McClain comments: Radio, TV ads in Senate race invoke Trayvon Martin, abortion, plantations - October 29th, 2014
- Pro-Hagan ad in North Carolina ties Tillis to Trayvon Martin shooting - October 29th, 2014
- Conservative group knocks 'race hustling' ad in North Carolina - October 29th, 2014
- Radio, TV ads in Senate race invoke Trayvon Martin, abortion, plantations - October 29th, 2014
- Fact Checker: Was the Stand Your Ground law the cause of Trayvon Martins death? - October 29th, 2014
- 10/23/2014 - October 27th, 2014
- Crist gets out vote in Riviera; two other events set in county - October 24th, 2014
- Short Menu - October 23rd, 2014
- Trayvon Martin - A Long Beach Dialogue - Video - October 21st, 2014
- Trayvon Martin Case - George Zimmerman Released, Bond Conditions - Video - October 21st, 2014
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: