Trayvon Martin's parents visit Stephen Lawrence memorial
The parents of 17 year old Trayvon Martin arrived in London this morning, to thank the British people who have lent their support.
Among the many letters of condolence which they received was one from Doreen Lawrence, whose own son was killed in a racist attack in South London 19 years ago. The two families met today, at the memorial to Stephen’s death, united by a search for meaning, amid their personal grief.
A day to look back, as well as forward: a reminder of a young man’s killing that has become as totemic for America as Stephen Lawrence’s death was in Britain.
For the Martins, their grief is still raw: it’s been barely two months since the night when their son walked through a gated community in Sanford, Florida and was challenged by neighbourhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman. There was a confrontation. Screaming. Gunshots. By 7.25pm, Trayvon Martin, armed only with a packet of Skittles and a soft drink, was killed.
The initial police investigation was so cursory, that Zimmerman was barely asked any questions about the shooting, his alleged injuries barely examined, charges never brought. Police said there was no evidence to disprove his claim that he shot Martin in self-defence.
Amid the growing backlash, and the growing distress of the black community, hundreds of thousands of people began signing an online petition demanding Zimmerman’s arrest. Tapes of the 911 calls made on the night of the shooting emerged in the media. Finally the Justice Department launched its own investigation.
Barely a month after the shooting, Trayvon Martin had become a cause: a symbol not just of America’s dysfunctional relationship with race, and guns, but a powerful political statement. “I am Trayvon Martin” became a nationwide slogan, emblazoned on banners, T-shirts, bumper stickers.
Thousands of people took to the streets, holding rallies around the country to demand “Justice for Trayvon”. They wore hoodies, in tribute to the one the teenager was wearing the night he was shot: some brandished bags of Skittles. President Obama spoke publicly for the first time, calling for some national soul searching: “If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon”, he said.
The hoodie swiftly became a symbol in itself, worn by members of Congress, sporting stars, school kids. The rallies became known as the ‘Million Hoodie March’.
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
bejar jewish museum
ruth teig kreplach video
holocaust expert rejects charge nazis soap jews
jonathan sierra agronomia
speedhack cf download 2013
hitlers holocaust ghetto torrent
jews peopleвЂ™s history watch online
wendy rosebush catino
meghan markle jewish
- Young Thug - Let me Live (Trayvon Martin & Mike Brown Tribute) - Video - September 19th, 2014
- Al Sharpton demands to see Walmart shooting video - September 19th, 2014
- Rev. Al Sharpton asks Ohio AG to release tape in Walmart shooting - September 19th, 2014
- Crowd awaiting Al Sharpton at Central State - September 18th, 2014
- At Lehigh University, Trayvon Martin's mother talks about race issues in America - September 17th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin's mom speaks about racial injustice - September 17th, 2014
- Ewuare X. Osayande: Free Marissa Now Concert - Video - September 16th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman News - orlandosentinel.com - September 16th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin's mother to speak at Lehigh - September 16th, 2014
- The Trayvon Martin Tragedy | News | BET - September 16th, 2014
- Knicks Owner James Dolan Debuts Trayvon Martin Song - September 16th, 2014
- George Zimmerman threatened to kill man in road rage? - Video - September 15th, 2014
- PRINCE DEEKON: "Tears Of A Son!" feat. Frank Ocean - Video - September 15th, 2014
- Things for James Dolan to sing about that aren't Trayvon Martin - September 15th, 2014
- Marcus Harcus at Trayvon Martin Protest U. of Minnesota Part 1 - Video - September 14th, 2014
- JEEPNEY TRANSPORTATION IN THE PHILIPPINES GO PRO1545 - Video - September 14th, 2014
- Tarrus Riley on Music, Life and Trayvon Martin - Video - September 13th, 2014
- US man alleges Trayvon Martin shooter threatened him - September 13th, 2014
- Police: Zimmerman accused of threatening driver - September 13th, 2014
- I Actually Listened To James Dolan's Song About Trayvon Martin - September 13th, 2014
- Police: George Zimmerman accused of threatening driver - September 13th, 2014
- Knicks owner James Dolan drops blues single about Trayvon Martin - September 13th, 2014
- Police: George Zimmerman accused of threatening to kill driver, asking 'Do you know who I am?' - September 13th, 2014
- That Bitch Better Be Funny: Live at The Howard Theater -Sampson (Stand Up Comedy) - Video - September 12th, 2014
- J.Harris and Ron Vince - Trayvon Martin - No More Guns - Video - September 11th, 2014
- Mike Brown-Trayvon Martin J.ALLEN "Thoughts" - Video - September 9th, 2014
- LilSwerv First solo x S.W.E.R.V x NewLegacy #33 promo video - Video - September 9th, 2014
- TRIBUTE to the MICHAEL BROWN'S, TRAYVON MARTIN'S & ERIC GARNERS of our COMMUNITIES - Video - September 9th, 2014
- Trayvon Martin Latest news - The Orlando Sentinel - September 9th, 2014
- ViewPoint - Chad objects to me calling Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown "thugs' - Video - September 8th, 2014
- Ferguson: Fathers of slain sons form unique brotherhood - Video - September 3rd, 2014
- JG (GOHARD) OFFICIAL HD VIDEO FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY! - Video - September 3rd, 2014
- Minivan Cop Shooting Mom 'Thought About Trayvon Martin' - September 3rd, 2014
- Broken hearts coming together in Ferguson - Video - September 1st, 2014
- Trayvon Martin - Biography - - Biography.com - September 1st, 2014
- Trayvon Martin, Karvas Gamble mothers find silent bond with Michael Brown's family - September 1st, 2014
- USA: Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown's parents push for peace - Video - August 31st, 2014
- 'Lean on Him': Mothers unite after losing sons - Video - August 31st, 2014
- Hidden Genius: Kalimah Priforce and Oakland's First Hackathon for Black Male Achievement - Video - August 31st, 2014
- The Mothers Of Trayvon Martin, Sean Bell & Michael Brown Meet For The First Time Interview With CNN - Video - August 31st, 2014
Fair Use Disclaimer
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights.
Fair use as described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono-records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: